WWW.CARMEL.ORG.UK | 1
Carmel College, A Catholic Academy The Headlands Darlington Co. Durham DL3 8RW
Telephone: (01325) 254525 Fax: (01325) 254335
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.carmel.org.uk
Principal: Mike Shorten
Message from the Principal Shaping Futures Fulfilling Dreams Inspiring Together
4 5 6 7
WWW.CARMEL.ORG.UK | 3
Going Global Partnerships Carmel Education Trust
8 9 10
MESSAGE FROM THE PRINCIPAL
Welcome to Carmel College, where students leave with more than just outstanding results.
We are an 11-18 Catholic Academy with an outstanding record of academic achievement at both GCSE and A Level, which places the College as one of the top performing schools in the country.
We are committed to providing the highest standard of education for all children and are driven by the ideal of “every child, every opportunity”. Success is not measured simply by academic achievement but also in extra-curricular provision. The College has an outstanding record of success in areas such as PE, Music, Drama, Languages and The Arts.
As a Catholic College, we are guided by the values contained in the Gospels, providing an environment of joyous corridors and purposeful classrooms, with the expectation that students have a rewarding and fulfilling experience during their time with us.
Mike Shorten Principal
High standards with opportunities to fulfil potential, realise ambitions, explore and nurture talents through:
• Excellent facilities, including new science labs and purpose-built Music department with recording studio.
• Effective pedagogy, Professional Development Programmes for staff, centred on recent and relevant research.
• Purposeful classrooms, with a well-designed curriculum, appealing to a broad range of students, each with individual needs.
• An outward-facing role as a Teaching School, developing the next generation of teachers, supporting other schools through training at all levels and engaging in current educational research.
WWW.CARMEL.ORG.UK | 5
Every child is afforded every opportunity through: • An extensive range of opportunities which channel our students towards excellence, creativity and challenge. • A wide range of extra-curricular activities with a ‘you can do it’ mentality, to cultivate drive and ambition. • Opportunities to excel in sport, with many of our students going on to local and national representation in their chosen fields. • Music and drama, culminating in our renowned annual Musical Theatre Production. • External trips and visits - some local, some national - such as trips to Hadrian’s Wall and London. • Spiritual development through retreats, which aim to enhance our students’ appreciation of awe and wonder.
WWW.CARMEL.ORG.UK | 7
Students and staff thrive in opportunities to work with each other and the wider community through:
• Hexham and Newcastle Catholic Partnership events, such as ‘Eurovision Song Contest’, Operation Montserrat with the National Space Centre, music concerts at The Sage, Gatehead and art and photography exhibitions in Durham Cathedral.
• The annual summer production spectacular, involving students and staff from across the College, the Carmel Community Choir and pupils from local primary schools.
• Fundraising and charities, which aim to make a difference to the lives of those less fortunate, a good example of which is the annual pilgrimage to Lourdes with HCPT group.
• An active PTA, with events such as Pig Race Nights, St. Patrick’s Ceilidh and the highlight of the PTA calendar, the Christmas Craft Fayre in November.
• Involvement with the wider community - such as providing venues for sporting activities, conferences and meetings and a termly programme of Community Education courses.
• The Teaching School Alliance - leading professional training and development for teachers to enhance teaching and learning at all levels.
Commitment to developing a global outlook through:
• The Global Learning Programme, which involves cross-curricular opportunities with networking schools, aiming to develop knowledge and understanding of global learning issues and incorporating the themes of poverty and sustainability.
• British Council International School Award, promoting the international dimensions amongst its students and in the community.
• The Big Project, collaborating with local and global organisations.
• International projects and links with many schools in Europe and Asia, offering students an extensive range of international experience.
• International study visits to Spain, Italy, France, China and the USA.
• Conferences in Poland, Germany, Spain, France, Turkey, Denmark and Italy.
• Clubs and competitions organised by the Modern Languages’ Department including Mandarin, Tai Chi and origami.
WWW.CARMEL.ORG.UK | 9
CARMEL EDUCATION TRUST
On the 1st March 2013 Carmel College - rated by Ofsted as ‘Outstanding’ - became the Carmel Education Trust.
The conversion to a Multi-Academy Trust came following a request from the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle to utilise its expertise to build capacity for school improvement within the southern area of the Diocese, against a context of diminishing local authority resources and educational services. Our aim is to provide a practical and moral purpose to the furtherance of education, building capacity and providing strength and a collective responsibility for the educational welfare of young people.
The Carmel Education Trust currently has seven Academies. In April 2013, Holy Family and St Augustine’s Primary Schools, Darlington and St Gregory’s Primary School, Stockton joined Carmel College as members of the Trust. They were followed by St Michael’s Catholic Academy, St Bede’s Catholic Academy and, most recently, Our Lady & St Bede’s Catholic Academy in February 2015.
All our Academies benefit from the strong ethos and high quality corporate governance that the Trust affords. School to school improvement is at the heart of our philosophy and is focused on schools supporting each other through a mutually beneficial and cost effective model of leadership and governance, to raise standards and improve opportunities and outcomes for all our students.
Maura Regan CEO
WWW.CARMEL.ORG.UK | 11